Thursday, January 3, 2013

The Top Ten Songs of 2012

As always, this year's song list is made up of tracks  that didn't appear on any of my favorite albums, so check out the best tracks recommendations from that list to find a number of other song highlights from the year. Below, my favorite songs of 2012:

10) Killer Mike - "Reagan"
My favorite track from Killer Mike's excellent album R.A.P. Music, "Reagan" is about conspiracy theories and political distrust, all told over a magnetic beat.

9) M.I.A - "Bad Girls"
MIA returns with one of her best songs in years, full of the swagger and aggression that made her a star in the first place.

8) Jesca Hoop - "Born To"
Part alt-folk song, part pop jangle, "Born To" is a song about loss that brims with life.

7) First Aid Kit - "Emmylou"
Leave it to two Swedish sisters to pen a fitting tribute to Gram Parsons, Emmylou Harris, Johnny Cash, and June Carter with their beautiful harmonies and delicate melody. 

6) Tanlines  - "All of Me"
This Brooklyn duo made a few electronic pop earworms in 2012. "All of Me" was the best of them.

5) Chairlift - "I Belong in Your Arms"
The most romantic song of the year, "I Belong in Your Arms" is a perfect slice of 80s synth-pop. 

4) Titus Andronicus - "In a Big City"
Jersey's Titus Andronicus make big punk sounds with big emotions. It's tough not to get swept up in their passion.

3) Heartless Bastards - "Parted Ways"
Heartless Bastards would likely have come in 11th on my top albums list, but I figured I could use the omission there to highlight one of my favorite songs of the year, a rollicking ditty that takes full advantage of Erika Wennerstrom's uniquely powerful voice.


2) Hospitality - "Friends of Friends"
Brooklyn indie trio Hospitality write indie pop songs about their lives as 20 somethings in New York, none better than this song about an ending romance and the desire to mask hurt feelings.


1) Chiddy Bang - "Handclaps & Guitars"
My favorite song of the year, this hip-hop party anthem from Philly band Chiddy Bang has an irresistible hook and an infectious beat. Like the refrain says, it's the perfect song for those who "just came to party."

No comments:

Post a Comment